This semester I am exploring DIY 3D scanning systems for use in undergraduate arts curriculum and have so far been focused on using Autodesk’s 123D Catch program to generate textured 3D models from photographs. This system has been so easy to use that I thought it would make a great platform for helping undergraduate art […]
Continuing my experiments in 3D scanning and printing in preparation for teaching students about 3D scanning and printing, I captured a few more objects using 123D Catch and printed them out on our Makerbot Replicator. I’m generally really happy with the results I’ve been getting using 123D Catch and will most definitely be using it […]
Continuing my recent 3D scanning and printing binge, I scanned a few more objects for printing on the university’s Makerbot Replicator. This time around, I had more pieces that I chose not to print because of their unique geometries, but what I did print was a lot of fun. “Spiral wonton” and “Small saladfingers” glass […]
This semester I am exploring 3D scanning technology to help make it easier for students and faculty to create 3D models and 3D prints of their work in the Art and Art History department. Pursuing this work is giving me the opportunity to fine-tune and document a friendly workflow that can be opened up to […]
Ever since helping UNK’s Art & Art History department acquire a Makerbot Replicator at the end of last summer, I’ve been somewhat obsessed with the technology behind it all and the community that makes it happen. It turns out that one of the most common DIY 3D printers, the Prusa Mendel, can be built for […]
Continuing my experiments with 3D-printed molds and traditional casting media, I tried using both resin and silicone to make casts from molds I made earlier in the semester. Using a variety of mold releases, I was able to pull several great casts from a couple different molds, including an amazing cast of Admiral Ackbar’s head!