Circular circuit boards that act as lids for standard mason jars, containing a simple six-LED circuit that mimics the lighting patterns of fireflies. Designed as a DIY kit to someday offer for sale.
As part of a series of assistive technology projects for creative uses, I have been working on an open-source “sip and puff” interface that will ultimately be able to send expressive data to the user’s PC. My goal is to create a simple, adaptable and reconfgurable system that requires no programming or electronics experience to […]
Lumiboard is a compact platform for controlling almost any kind of LED package from small discrete LEDs, to high-power RGB LEDs to digitally-addressable RGB strips. It includes a Bluetooth transceiver so you can control it through a smartphone or tablet, an external sensor board for reacting to audio, ambient light and temperature and much more! […]
After getting tired of spending so much money integrating complete Arduino boards into my projects over the last couple years, I decided to try my hand at making a smaller (and cheaper) board that I could build into projects. My solution was a modified version of the ExtraCore project, with a reset button instead of a low-pass filter.
A few months ago I began working on a wall plotter drawing machine as part of an independent study in my graduate program at UNK. The goal was to not only create the machine, but to also use it to produce some artistic prints, and eventually even install it in public on campus. Fast forward […]
After months of tinkering and testing with fishing line and sewing machine bobbins and being unable to fix some pretty bad distortion issues, I finally made the switch to precise timing belts and pulleys! Immediately the majority of the distortion stopped, and I can already tell by watching the pen carriage that the lines are […]
Although the semester officially ended last week, I find myself making more and more rapid progress on my wall plotter – funny how that happens sometimes! This week I found the cause (or a cause) of the distortion issues I mentioned in my previous post, and relied on my intuition to test out different ideas […]
After my previous post, a couple of relevant Instructables popped up offering more alternatives for various aspects of this project, some of which work quite well! After a few setbacks, I was able to fabricate a set of wooden pulleys, but they failed very soon after installation, leaving me to wonder what the next steps […]
As the semester comes to a close, I have to evaluate the status of my projects and decide whether or not I want to continue pursuing them. My intention was to create a wall plotter this semester to explore alternative media for art, as well as to excite students and faculty about the new possibilities. […]
In my previous progress update, I described the pulleys and wall mounts I created to get my wall plotter up and running. Even earlier, I successfully tested the electronics and got them working. At this point, I felt the complete system was ready for testing, so I began looking for a place to install it […]