Continuing my experiments with 3D-printed molds and traditional casting media, I tried using both resin and silicone to make casts from molds I made earlier in the semester. Using a variety of mold releases, I was able to pull several great casts from a couple different molds, including an amazing cast of Admiral Ackbar’s head!
While working on a series of cast bronze supershapes made from 3D printed forms I thought it would be nice to have a visually interesting way to display them. And since I had never done metal casting of any kind before I also thought it would be educational for me to follow the process using […]
Last month, I prepared a batch of small 3D-printed objects for the “lost ABS” process, some to be cast in aluminum and the rest in bronze. One of the pieces, a 3D-printed two-part mold, was placed in the kiln on Tuesday and cast with aluminum on Thursday. The other three pieces were all supershapes I […]
While experimenting with other traditional casting media and some 3D-printed molds, I began to wonder if it would be possible to use hot Victory wax (common in use at my university’s sculpture studio). Turns out, not only is it possible, but it works great! Hot as the wax may be, it turns out to not be hot enough to melt the plastic molds.
Integrating 3D-printed ABS models from my university’s new Makerbot Replicator into traditional sculpture processes (specifically, the “lost wax” casting process). I learned that ABS plastic should melt and burn out in a kiln just as easily as wax, so I invested and burned out a small mold and cast it in aluminum with great success!
Working with my university’s sculpture program, I learned as much as I could about traditional mold-making techniques and processes in Fall 2012. I decided to try to integrate the university’s new Makerbot Replicator into these processes, beginning with creating open-face molds. Includes casting attempts using Oogoo and chocolate.