A few months ago I began working on a wall plotter drawing machine as part of an independent study in my graduate program at UNK. The goal was to not only create the machine, but to also use it to produce some artistic prints, and eventually even install it in public on campus. Fast forward […]
Contributed modification for tinkerlog’s Der Kritzler wall plotter project that includes support for real-time progress tracking while the machine is running. This update was committed (and accepted) to the original Der Kritzler project on Github!
After months of tinkering and testing with fishing line and sewing machine bobbins and being unable to fix some pretty bad distortion issues, I finally made the switch to precise timing belts and pulleys! Immediately the majority of the distortion stopped, and I can already tell by watching the pen carriage that the lines are […]
Although the semester officially ended last week, I find myself making more and more rapid progress on my wall plotter – funny how that happens sometimes! This week I found the cause (or a cause) of the distortion issues I mentioned in my previous post, and relied on my intuition to test out different ideas […]
After my previous post, a couple of relevant Instructables popped up offering more alternatives for various aspects of this project, some of which work quite well! After a few setbacks, I was able to fabricate a set of wooden pulleys, but they failed very soon after installation, leaving me to wonder what the next steps […]
As the semester comes to a close, I have to evaluate the status of my projects and decide whether or not I want to continue pursuing them. My intention was to create a wall plotter this semester to explore alternative media for art, as well as to excite students and faculty about the new possibilities. […]