Prusa Mendel build
About this project
The Prusa Mendel is an open-source 3D printer that can be built from printed plastic parts, some common hardware and some electronic components. It is actively being developed by the massive RepRap community, which is constantly at the cutting-edge of DIY 3D printing.
- Use Quick-Fit X Carriage to make swapping and expanding extruders as easy as possible. Should be able to accommodate:
- Greg's Wade extruder: body and hinge included in Quick-Fit X Carriage, herringbone gears from Greg's Wade reloaded extruder
- Universal Paste Extruder: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20733
- 3-way Quick-fit Extruder and Colour Blending Nozzle: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23775
- Bowden tube extruders: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:27484
- Complete set of printed parts for Prusa Mendel hot off the printer!
- Prusa Mendel build update #1: vitamins acquired, rods cut and rounded (with better cut diagrams!), and basic frame assembled
- Prusa Mendel build update #2: all electronics acquired, miscellaneous hardware, updated sources and BOM
- Prusa Mendel build update #3: frame tightened, X, Y and Z axes assembled
- Prusa Mendel build update #4: build platform assembly
- Prusa Mendel build update #5: installing the electronics, wiring up motors, HBP + thermistor, endstops and tweaking Marlin
- Prusa Mendel build update #6: using pen plotter attachment for calibration, reducing backlash and fender washer upgrades
- Prusa Mendel build update #7: building and early use of Universal Paste Extruder (printing frosting on cookies!)
I printed my own set of plastic parts from the official Prusa Github repo using my university's Makerbot Replicator in white ABS. The Quick Fit X Carriage was printed in "Helsinki Sky", while the extruder parts were printed in "Safety Orange", both from Makerbot.
All parts were printed with 40% infill, 0.2mm layer height and 1 shell.
Greg's Wade extruder reloaded
- Extruder body and hinge are both included in the Quick Fit X Carriage files.
- Herringbone gears are printed from the Greg's Wade reloaded files.
One NEMA17 stepper motor.
Universal Paste Extruder
- Body, guidler, gears and pressure cap all included in the Universal Paste Extruder files
- Pulley printed from this Parametric pulley script, configured for GT2 belts and 10 teeth
One NEMA17 stepper motor
Syringes and needles